Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Great Quote

I have started browsing through a book, to go along with a new counselor :) It's called Resurrection After Rape by Matt Atkinson. It is.....hard to believe that this guy- or any guy- could know so well what it feels like to be a female victim of R or SA. A great, great quote from the book that I wanted to share is:
"...begin to change the language we use when we talk about rape. You need to see it as a hurt done to you, not a permanent source of filth and badness about you."
I have real issues with self-blame. I think it would be good to start thinking like that...

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I too am fighting the feeling of desecration - around what was wrongly done to me. It goes very deep. I felt and feel soiled to the core. I fight that and it returns.
    I like the quote. I am glad you have this book. I wish you well with your journey out of this self blame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with everything you said. I hope in time we learn not to feel that way anymore

      Hugs

      Delete
  2. How you doing? It is while since I heard from you, though thank you for the comments on my own blog. I had to close it to the public as the abusive posts were getting really damaging but I think you still have access to it. I have been away too on a writer's course so that helped too.
    Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am off to Germany for ten days, back 10th - so sorry if you don't hear from me. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or share an experience or resource: