Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Warning- Time to Write About the Early Stuff

I might not "publish" this post. I might delete it. Or I might save it and do something with it later. But right now I'm feeling horribly sick and am a little drugged and just need to get some things out.

When I was little, I don't know how old because it was happening ever since I can remember, my dad would come into my room at night. Sometimes I would be asleep and I'd wake up when he started. Other times, I'd be awake, heart pounding, dreading the moment I heard his footsteps coming down the hallway. He would usually smell like a bar- like beer, liquor, and stale chips mixed with cigarette smoke. I would never move, I'd pretend I was sleeping. I was scared. He was angry sometimes after he'd been drinking; I heard him and my mother fighting countless times after he got home from the bar. I was also ashamed. I blamed (blame?) myself, told myself I was dirty, bad, should behave better...why else would he do it? His hand would slide under the sheets and up the nightgown. Always a nightgown. Is it weird that I even now so many years later I usually sleep in shorts or pants?

Usually it was just touching. Other times...other times it was "worse." "Worse" with quotes because...can you compare any of it in that way?

When he was done, he would leave. I don't think he ever said a word. Which I think is part of the guilt/self-blame I have. He never threatened, never told me not to tell. So why did I wait so long to do it?

I feel sick just writing about it. But I've been wanting to talk about it for a while now...with work, working with him, seeing him almost every day, the dreams of it have gotten a little worse (as the dreams of the other things have gotten a little less frequent), the flashbacks have started again. I think maybe it would be good to talk about it, to get some of it out. But I'm still ashamed. Even in an empty room, trying to say it out loud, I end up feeling like an idiot because I just can't do it.

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Love, it is so brave and courageous of you to tell and many people have been through this horror too, it is such a horror, in that you, an innocent lovely little girl had this happen to her, out of her control.
    i would love to give you a hug, it is so brilliant that you are sharing, blogs are WONDERFUL for getting this stuff out in the open
    If he thought it was okay to do it to you (which is wasn't) it is sure okay to tell it and say it. Shout it from the rooftops. !!
    Even more confusing, says one who knows, is the feelings that a survivor can be left with, which are feelings of being aroused, against out will, by someone whom we want to love us and we project kindness and caring onto, and they are actually doing something wrong TO us, but being aroused is not wrong and happens anyway, even when terrified. so THOSE feelings can be difficult to hold in tender kindness to oneself.
    I am so utterly sorry for what you went through, he betrayed you and he was meant to be a kind protective father to you.
    What he did was illegal, immoral, wrong, but it does not make YOU any of those things, it just makes you a lovely person who has suffered at the hands of sick misguided people and you are doing your best each day to live with this and heal this.
    I admire you and I LOVE the fact you have leapt right in there and posted this post, I too hesitate to post 'the worst' on my blog, but it helps others, it truly does. We are strong women, we will heal and be of great help to others in our lives.
    I applaud you.
    I also urge you to find a therapist fast as you are so strong in so many ways and yet I would like you to have someone accompany you skilfully in this journey forward into deepest healing. I care about you too much to not keep asking you to do that. Please hear me.
    You did nothing wrong. There is nothing wrong with you. You have only tried to cope as best you can with what life has thrown at you and that is already a lot. Take very best care of yourself right now.
    hugs S

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment or share an experience or resource: